Senate Committee on Criminal Justice
NOTE: This is archived committee information from the 79th Legislative Session.
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa
Sam Houston Building, 470
Video/Audio — Archives
79th Session Interim
79th Third Called Session
79th Regular Session
The following reports are available for download:
- Study the resources and facilities available to offenders with mental health needs in the Texas criminal justice system. Provide an inventory of resources and facilities. Develop recommendations to better allocate existing resources and efficiently address the needs of this population.
- Study the expenditure patterns and identify trends in the community supervision and corrections departments' use of state and local monies, known collectively as the Judicial Districts Trust Funds. Ascertain the percentages spent on direct supervision of probationers and identify notable policy decisions. Provide recommendations for improvements and methods of maximizing the use of these funds.
- Examine the allegations of abuse and neglect within the Texas Youth Commission (TYC) facilities and the appropriateness of TYC response. Include an analysis of factors that may be affecting the safety of inmates and staff and make recommendations for Legislative actions to improve the safety of inmates and staff at these facilities.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation relating to reducing the production and abuse of methamphetamine, including the predicted impact of methamphetamine's increased availability on state resources and criminal justice populations, and make recommendations for additional programs for further reductions in abuse and production.
- Study and make recommendations for methods to reduce kidnapping and violence along the Texas Border, focusing on reducing drug-related crime.
- Monitor the expenditure of funds for adult probation services dedicated to the lowering of revocations to state prisons and state jails. Examine the compliance with and effectiveness of associated budget riders and make recommendations for future funding needs.
- Study the feasibility of the State of Texas establishing or contracting with a private prison facility in the country of Mexico in order to house non-violent Mexican Nationals currently being housed in Texas prisons.
- Review other states’ correctional health care systems and make recommendations, if necessary, for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of Texas’ system.