The Texas State Senate - Eddie Lucio, Jr.
Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, June 19, 2002
CONTACT: Doris Sanchez, Press Secretary
Sen. Lucio announces Senate Subcommittee on Border Affairs hearing in Brownsville
Austin, TX--State Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. (D-Brownsville) announced he will hold the next hearing of the Senate Subcommittee on Border Affairs in Brownsville, on Friday, June 21, 2002, at 10 a.m. at the Brownsville Independent School District Administration Building, 1900 Price Road. Sen. Lucio chairs the Subcommittee.
The Subcommittee is charged with identifying unique challenges facing the Texas-Mexico Border region and determining strategic economic development initiatives to assist the region in overcoming the identified challenges. The Subcommittee is also required to recommend initiatives to improve trade and tourism that create a sound foundation for economic development and determine the amount of funding necessary to implement the initiatives. This charge requires a determination of whether such investments will leverage other significant funds or if funding is unlikely from other sources. The Subcommittee may also make recommendations to facilitate commerce and lessen congestion at ports-of-entry at the Texas-Mexico Border.
Sen. Lucio has held hearings in Laredo and El Paso. Members of the committee, in addition to Chairman Lucio, include state Senators Eliot Shapleigh, D-El Paso; Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio; John Carona, R-Dallas; and Frank Madla, D-San Antonio.
For more information, people may contact Ms. Laura Garcia, general counsel and clerk of the Subcommittee, at 512-463-0127.
SENATE SUBCOMMITTEE ON BORDER AFFAIRS
Friday, June 21, 2002, 10:00 A.M.
Brownsville ISD Administration Building
I. Call to Order
II. Roll Call
III. Opening/Welcoming Remarks
- Chairman Lucio and Members
- The Honorable Blanca Vela, Mayor, City of Brownsville
- The Honorable C. Connie de la Garza, Mayor, City of Harlingen
IV. Approval of Minutes
V. Invited Testimony
A. Border Colonia Advisory Board--Update
- The Honorable Jose Eloy Pulido, Hidalgo County Judge
- Texas Department of Transportation
- Amadeo Saenz, Assistant Executive Director for Engineering Operations
- Mario Jorge, District Engineer-Pharr
- Raul Besteiro, Director, Port of Brownsville
- Bob Cornelison, Port Director, Port Isabel-San Benito Navigation District
- Edward Molitor, Director, Hidalgo County MPO
- Mike Allen, President/CEO, McAllen Economic Development Corporation
C. Water Issues
- Jeff Saitas, Executive Director, Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission
- Ignacio Madera, Director of Border Division, Texas Water Development Board
D. Higher Education/Workforce
- Dr. Juliet Garcia, President, University of Texas at Brownsville/Texas Southmost College
- Dr. Miguel Nevarez, President, University of Texas-Pan American
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Dr. Leonel Vela, Regional Dean, Regional Academic Health Center
- Richard Garcia, Executive Director, Center for South Texas Programs
- Dr. J. Gilbert Leal, President, Texas State Technical College-Harlingen
- Cameron Works, Inc.
- Gilbert Elizondo, Board Chair
- Stella Flores, Executive Director
- Lower Rio Grande Valley Workforce Development Board
- Chris Garza, Chief Program Officer
- Sylvia Ochoa, WIA/LMI Program Specialist
- Dr. Antonio Zavaleta, Vice-President for External Affairs, UTB/TSC
- Rosanna Rodriguez, Director/Administrator, South Texas Vo-Tech
E. Interim Charges--General
- Jose "Pepe" Aranda, Chairman, Texas Border Infrastructure Coalition
- Frank Feild, President/CEO, Brownsville Chamber of Commerce
- Rosalie Manzano, Director, Center for Business and Economic Development, UTB/TSC
- Valley Interfaith
- Dora Marroquin, Regional Co-Chair
- Judy Vera, Member
F. Community Development
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs
- Edwina Carrington, Executive Director
- Homero Cabello, Director, Office of Colonia Initiatives
- Kermit Black, Director, Center for Housing and Urban Development, Texas A&M University
- Robert Calvillo, Executive Director, McAllen Affordable Homes, Inc.
- Don Currie, Executive Director, Community Development Corporation of Brownsville
- Dr. Vern Vincent, Center for Tourism Research, University of Texas-Pan American
- Dan Quandt, Executive Director, South Padre Island Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Michael Rodriguez, Board Member, Brownsville Convention and Visitors Bureau
VI. Public Testimony
VII. Other Business