Van de Putte Moderates Eagle Ford Forum Panel
(San Antonio) -- Today, at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, Senator Leticia Van de Putte (District 26, Bexar County) served as moderator of a legislative panel at the Eagle Ford Coalition Conference. Senator Van de Putte is a member of the Eagle Ford Shale Legislative Caucus.
The panel explored the both the benefits and the challenges of the oil and gas production currently taking place in the Eagle Ford Shale.
"Texas is blessed with abundant natural resources and fortunate to enjoy the benefits of the current oil and gas production," said Senator Van de Putte. "With the right vision and foresight, Texas can reap the benefits while also creating lasting value for our families and communities well into the future."
According to an economic impact study by the University of Texas at San Antonio, the shale:
- Added more than $61 Billion to the total economic development of the 20-county region in 2012
- Supported over 116,000 full time jobs in 2012
- Likely will generate $89 billion and 127,000 jobs in 2022.
- In terms of government revenue, has contributed over $1 billion in local government revenue and over $1.2 billion in State revenue.
- In Bexar County alone, supports more than 20,000 jobs, up from just 5,000 jobs in 2011.
Among the challenges: Many of the roads in the Eagle Ford Shale were not built with the drilling and transportation of oil in mind. Senator Van de Putte believes the state must make a proper investment in South Texas' infrastructure for the Eagle Ford to continue benefiting Texas.