A&M System Center in San Antonio Holds Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at New Location
Renovated public school buildings give students increased space for classrooms, study areas
SAN ANTONIO -- State Senator Carlos Uresti and the Texas A&M University System celebrated Texas A&M University-Kingsville System Center-San Antonio's move to a new location at 1450 Gillette Boulevard. Today's ribbon-cutting ceremony brings San Antonio one step closer to a permanent Texas A&M University campus on the city's Southside.
"Today is history in the making. Lives will be changed forever. Our community is committed to bringing an A&M University education within the reach of more San Antonians -- and more Texans. The Southside campus so many have dreamed of and worked for is near," Uresti said.
In 2003, the Texas Legislature authorized the creation of the future Texas A&M University-San Antonio. To date, the Legislature has authorized $10 million-including $6.7 million from the 2007 Legislative Session-to help the center develop academic programs, hire faculty and staff, and grow to meet increasing student enrollment.
Once the center reaches the full-time equivalent of 1,500 students by Jan. 1, 2010, the Legislature has authorized $40 million in tuition revenue bonds to finance facilities for a new, permanent campus.
The A&M System has selected a 694-acre site for the permanent campus, owned and donated by Verano Land Group, located south of Loop 410 between Zarzamora and Pleasanton roads. A 580-acre site will be used for the university's main campus, plus 10 acres for entrance frontage along Loop 410. An additional 104 acres farther south will be allocated for the A&M System's Irrigation and Technology Center, which will provide education, testing and research to improve water conservation.
For more information, please contact Ryan Sullivan at 512-463-0119.