P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
Fax (512) 463-0923
Senate Approves Re-Authorization of Workforce Commission
AUSTIN --The Senate today approved SB 280 filed by Senator Nelson to re-authorize the Texas Workforce Commission and re-prioritize its objectives. The bill now moves to the House for consideration.
"We are spurring this agency forward as it attempts to put more Texans to work," Senator Nelson, who led the review of the Texas Workforce Commission as Chairman of the Sunset Advisory Commission. "Given our current economic situation, it is imperative that this agency is poised to help Texans find and keep good jobs and help businesses connect with the trained employees they need to be successful."
SB 280 directs the Texas Workforce Commission to:
- Partner with the business community to better meet the needs of business and to equip workers with the skills required to compete for jobs.
- Improve accountability and coordination of adult education and literary services with the Texas Education Agency.
- Assess the effectiveness of local workforce boards in managing funds and services.
- Evaluate employment outcomes of parents receiving subsidized day care.
- Bring proprietary schools into compliance with state law, using a cease and desist order if necessary.
Senator Jane Nelson represents District 12, which includes the growing suburban communities of Denton and Tarrant counties and parts of the city of Fort Worth.