The Texas State Senate: Senate Committee on Open Government
Senate Committee on Open Government
82nd Session Interim
82nd Regular Session
Hearings and Committee Handouts
- Evaluate the need for revisions to the Public Information Act to address changes in the performance of public functions and make recommendations for changes. Specifically, consider the following:
- the use of new technologies and future technological advances as relates to the creation of public information;
- the extent to which the Public Information Act impacts third-party contractors with state and local government;
- the need to codify or clarify existing Attorney General opinions.
- Examine the effectiveness of security measures used to protect electronic information held by state agencies and make recommendations for enhancing security, if needed.
- Review record retention policies for state and local governments and make recommendations for improvements to record retention schedules and policies, including e-mail retention and archiving requirements. Consider the benefits and disadvantages of creating a uniform record retention policy.
- Study ways to define and address frivolous and/or overly-burdensome open records requests. Include an analysis of appropriate cost recovery by governmental entities for expenses and time related to responding to requests, while ensuring the public has adequate access to public information.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Senate Select Committee on Open Government, 82nd Legislature, Regular and Called Sessions, and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation.
The following reports are available for download: