- Review state and local policies relating to development and growth in rural and unincorporated regions of the state. Work with housing advocates, county organizations and appropriate officials to assess the proliferation of substandard housing in rural and unincorporated areas.
- Determine the appropriateness of and make recommendations on the existing extraterritorial jurisdiction authority currently granted under colonia prevention measures along the border region.
- Develop recommendations to better provide Border and rural communities access to state and federal resources. Review the programs established by different states and recommend initiatives that Texas can enact to increase the competitiveness of these communities, engender critical development, provide affordable housing, identify community assets, retain/create wealth and create regional jobs. Study and make recommendations to expand business opportunities in international markets for businesses located in economically distressed areas, including rural and Border areas.
- Study the state's current and long-range need for physicians, dentists, nurses, and other allied health and long-term care professionals. Make recommendations to recruit high-need professions, especially for primary care providers and long-term care professionals in the Border region of Texas. (Joint charge with the Senate Health and Human Services Committee)
- Study and make recommendations to stem the tide of illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and human smuggling, and to reduce the criminal activities within the Border region. (Joint charge with Senate Committee on Transportation and Homeland Security)
- Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the International Relations and Trade Committee, 80th Legislature, Regular Session, and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation.
The following reports are available for download:
79th Legislature's Senate Committee on International Relations and Trade.
78th Legislature's Senate Committee on International Relations and Trade.