The Texas State Senate: Senate Committee on Agriculture, Rural Affairs & Homeland Security
Senate Committee on Agriculture, Rural Affairs & Homeland Security
The following reports are available for download:
- Study and make recommendations for ways to increase investment, employment and production in Texas agriculture. Include a review of current land use and market trends as they relate to agricultural use and make recommendations for ways to support and enhance small farm and ranch operations.
- Study current federal, state and local safeguards regarding seafood consumption in Texas. Review existing academic studies, and federal, state, and private data relating to the safety of imported seafood, and provide recommendations on the need for additional studies and testing related to safety advisories for the public.
- Assess the current veterinary medical workforce, and make recommendations to address any disparities between small animal (companion) and large animal (food/fiber) veterinarians. Review the Rural Veterinary Medical Loan program (RVML) and make recommendations to enhance the use of RVML funds and other funding sources to increase the veterinary medical workforce.
- Review the impact of state laws relating to the closure of horse slaughter facilities across the United States. Analyze the impact on the equine industry and agricultural sector of the Texas economy.
- Examine ways to increase the use of Texas agricultural products in healthy foods readily available to Texas consumers. Evaluate the role of community initiatives in reducing obesity and diet-related diseases and make recommendations to support state and local efforts.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Senate Committee on Agriculture & Rural Affairs, 82nd Legislature, Regular and Called Sessions, and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation. Specifically, monitor the implementation and effects of current and proposed federal laws and regulations, including Environmental Protection Agency initiatives that may impact the Texas farming and ranching industry.
Select Interim Charges on Drought and Wildfire Preparedness
Review the impact of the drought on the Texas agricultural and ranching industry and develop methods and legislative recommendations to minimize the effects and respond to the challenges for farmers and ranchers. The committee should focus on the following:
- implementation of best management practices for agricultural conservation;
- alternatives to federal assistance due to drought losses;
- long term economic impact of the drought on the agricultural sector of the Texas economy;
- better management of federal, state, and local parkland/preserve-land to reduce fire risk, including cooperative fire mitigation efforts with surrounding properties and neighborhoods; and
- analysis of Texas forest service and land management recommendations and options from other states for mitigating risk.