Joint Committee Continues Quest for Higher Education Funding Reform
AUSTIN - The Joint Interim Committee on Higher Education met today, Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at the Capitol to discuss issues related to financing higher education. The committee has been working since October, 2003 to try and provide financial aid to students in Texas who would otherwise not have the funds to attend college. The Committee welcomed a panel of experts to give testimony.
Terry Bazan, Director of Financial Aid - Austin Community College spoke about the importance of "Need Analysis" as the main component when deciding who gets financial aid. "It incorporates parents' income, taxes paid, and general assets. Everyone wants financial aid, but not everybody fits the requirements under need analysis," Bazan said.
Henry Garcia, Assistant Dean of Financial Aid at Del Mar College also testified, outlining the Federal Pell Grant Program, the Federal Work Study Program, Federal Perkins Loan Program, and the Federal Family Education Loan Program. Mr. Garcia stressed the importance of community service in filling requirements under these programs.
Jim Lane, Director-Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, University of Houston outlined Packaging Aid/Award Packages for students.
Carol McDonald, President of Independent Colleges and Universities of Texas testified on State Scholarship Programs. She also dismissed several myths such as "my family makes too much money to receive financial aid" and "I don't make good enough grades to get financial aid" as well as discussing myths on race/ethnicity as a requirement for financial aid.
Karen Krause, Director of Financial Aid, University of Texas at Arlington testified on other State Programs: the TEXAS Grant, the TEXAS Grant II, the Texas Equalization Grant, the Texas Public Education Grant, the Hensen-Hazlewood Loan Program, Texas Work Study and other resources for financial aid.
Pat Jost, Director of Financial Aid, Trinity University discussed the process by which students would apply for financial aid relating to their enrollment.
Don Brown, Commissioner with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board also gave a presentation on the state's budget concern as it relates to higher education funding in Texas. "Many who qualify, don't get funds," He stated. "The first goal should be to offer funds to those who qualified for a TEXAS Grant but did not receive one."
The Committee is comprised of Co-Chairs Senator Florence Shapiro and Rep. Geanie Morrison. House Membership includes Representatives Fred Brown, Tony Goolsby, Roberto Gutierrez, Lois Kolkhorst, and Sylvester Turner. Senate Membership includes Senators Kip Averitt, Robert Duncan, Kyle Janek, Royce West, and Judith Zaffirini. The Committee recessed subject to the call of the chair.
Legislative Oversight Committee on Higher Education Looks at Tuition Increases
AUSTIN - The Legislative Oversight Committee on Higher Education met today, Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at the State Capitol to hold it's first hearing. Although no bills are presently referred to the committee, it began welcoming testimony on the issue of Spring 2004 tuition increases.
The following University Systems Representatives appeared before the committee for presentations and questions:
- University of Texas System, Chancellor Mark Yudof
- UT Arlington
- Dr. Charles Sorber, President
- Karen Krause, Director of Financial Aid
- UT Austin
- Dr. Larry Faulkner, President
- Dr. Larry Burt, Director of Financial Aid
- UT Dallas
- Dr. Franklyn Jenifer, President
- Maria Ramos, Director of Financial Aid
- UT El Paso
- Dr. Diana Natalicio, President
- Dr. Maggie Smith, Dean of the University College
- Cynthia Villa, VP Finance and Administration
- UT San Antonio
- Dr. Ricardo Romo, President
- Lisa Lazer, Director for Student Financial Aid
- UT Tyler
- Dr. Rodney Mabry, President
- Candace Garner, Associate Dean of Enrollment Management, Director of Financial Aid
- Texas A&M University System, Interim Chancellor Benton Cocanaugher
- Texas A&M College Station
- Dr. Robert Gates, President
- Texas A&M Galveston
- Dr. Mike Kemp, Vice President & Chief Exectutive Officer
- University of Houston System, Chancellor Jay Gogue
- University of Houston
- Dr. Jay Gogue, President
- Rob Sheridan, Director of Financial Aid
- University of Houston Clear Lake
- Bill Staples, President
- Michelle Dotter, CFO
- University of Houston Victoria
- Don Smith, Provost
- Richard Phillips, Director of Financial Aid
- North Texas State System, Chancellor Lee Jackson
- University of North Texas
- Dr. Norval Pohl, President
- Phil Diebel, Director of Financial Aid
- Texas Tech University System, Chancellor David Smith
- Texas Tech University
- Dr. Jon Whitmore, President
- Becky Wilson, Director of Financial Aid
- Texas State University System, Chancellor Lamar Urbanovsky
- Texas State University - San Marcos
- Dr. Denise M. Trauth, President
- Mariko Gomez, Director of Financial Aid
- Texas Women's University, Chancellor and President Ann Stuart
- Governor Jackson, Director of Financial Aid
Any business or testimony not completed on January 20 is scheduled to be completed tomorrow, Wednesday, January 21, 2004.
The Committee is comprised of Co-Chairs Senator Florence Shapiro and Rep. Geanie Morrison. House Membership includes Representatives Fred Brown, Tony Goolsby, Roberto Gutierrez, Lois Kolkhorst, and Sylvester Turner. Senate Membership includies Senators Kip Averitt, Robert Duncan, Kyle Janek, Royce West, and Judith Zaffirini.
Session video and all other webcast recordings can be accessed from the Senate website's audio and video archive pages.