$1 Million Approved for Nueces and Brooks County Colonias and $200,000 Approved for Edinburg Airport
AUSTIN -- The Office of Rural and Community Affairs will award $500,000 to replace 120 substandard septic tanks within Brooks County and will also award another $500,000 to provide first-time water service to 30 households in the San Petronila Estates Colonia in Nueces County. ORCA awarded $4.7 million in 11 Texas counties.
"This $1 million award will help lift some of the poorest families out of third world living conditions. As Americans, we are fortunate to live in such a prosperous country, but we cannot lose sight of the fact that some of our neighbors don't have basic necessities like running water and sanitary sewer systems," said Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa. "Improving the quality of life for the most vulnerable in our state benefits everyone in our community."
Nueces County Precinct Two Commissioner Betty Jean Longoria represents San Petronila Estates Colonia and also co-chairs the South Texas Colonia Initiative. "I really appreciate all the work Senator Hinojosa has done for our county and for helping us provide services for the families in our colonias," Commissioner Longoria said.
Also, the Texas Department of Transportation has awarded $200,000 to the City of Edinburg. This money is to be used to build a hangar at the Edinburg airport. The $200,000 grant will cover 75 percent of the hangar cost, and the City of Edinburg will contribute the other 25 percent.
"With Edinburg's tremendous growth, the city's airport plays a key role in determining its future economic development," Senator Hinojosa said. "This grant clearly benefits Edinburg, but it also helps develop a direct link to the dynamic economic development throughout Hidalgo County."