P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
Fax (512) 463-0923
SENATOR NELSON TAKES OATH OF OFFICE FOR 4-YEAR TERM
AUSTIN -- Having won re-election by a higher margin than any other incumbent State Senator in Texas facing major party opposition, State Senator Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville, was sworn in today to serve a four-year term representing District 12, which includes portions of Tarrant and Denton counties.
"It is a great honor to be sworn in today surrounded by family and friends from North Texas, and I look forward to continuing our work to advance the issues of importance to our community -- transportation, education, health care and responsible, limited government," Senator Nelson said.
Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Wallace Jefferson officiated the swearing-in ceremonies today in the Senate Chamber as the Legislature kicked off the 2007 legislative session, which lasts from today through May 28. To follow the Legislature online, visit www.capitol.state.tx.us.
Senator Nelson's Bio Highlights:
- Former public school teacher;
- Served two terms on State Board of Education; first elected to Texas Senate in 1992;
- Lifetime PTA member;
- Owns and operates a precision aircraft component manufacturing company in Denton with her husband, J. Michael Nelson;
- The Nelsons have a five grown children: Brian, Elizabeth, Christina, Michelle, and Jennifer; and a grandson, Andrew;
- Graduate of University of North Texas;
- Recent awards include Fighter for Free Enterprise, Texas Association of Business; Texas' Best Medicine, Texas Medical Association; Champion for Children, Texans Care for Children; Senate's Most Valuable Player, Capitol Inside.
- Most votes in Denton County among any local or statewide candidate facing major party position in November.
Senator Jane Nelson represents District 12, including portions of Tarrant and Denton counties.