P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
Fax (512) 463-0923
Workforce Commission Sunset Bill Advances in Senate
AUSTIN --The Senate Committee on Government Organization today approved SB 280 filed by State Senator Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville, to re-authorize the Texas Workforce Commission and re-prioritize its objectives. The bill now moves to the full Senate for consideration.
"We are putting into statute changes that will spur this organization forward as it attempts to put more Texans to work," Senator Nelson, who led the review of this agency as Chairman of the Sunset Advisory Commision. "Given our current economic situation, it is imperative that this agency is poised to help Texans find and keep good jobs and help businesses find trained employees they need to be successful."
SB 280 directs the Texas Workforce Commission to:
- Partner with the business community to better meet the needs of business and to equip workers with the skills required to compete for jobs.
- Improve accountability and coordination of adult education and literary services with the Texas Education Agency.
- Assess the effectiveness of local workforce boards in managing funds and services.
- Evaluate employment outcomes of parents receiving subsidized day care.
- Bring proprietary schools into compliance with state law, using a cease and desist order if necessary.
Senator Jane Nelson represents District 12, which includes the growing suburban communities of Denton and Tarrant counties and parts of the city of Fort Worth.