The Committee shall:
- Conduct a comprehensive review of the public school finance system in Texas, including,
- the system's structure, being sure to address issues of facilities, transportation and similar issues;
- the method of funding for public schools in the state; and
- factors that determine how to pay for education (e.g., personnel costs vs. student attendance, course completion, classroom vs. distance learning)
- Consider of all equity issues affecting school districts and the school finance system
- Examine fully the revenue resources for funding public schools, including a review of the state's tax system as it relates to public school finance.
The final report of the committee should be approved by a majority of the members of the committee and include any recommended statutory or regulatory changes. The committee is encouraged to complete its work as soon as possible, but a final report should be submitted to the Lt. Governor and Speaker of the House of Representatives no later than November 15, 2002.
Public School Finance Report (PDF - 250k)
Public School Finance Report Appendix A (PDF - 112k)
Public School Finance Report Appendix B (PDF - 1.5mb)
Public School Finance Report Appendix C (PDF - 24k)
To view and print PDF files, you will need Acrobat Reader, available free of charge from Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Budget and Staff
The committee should use the existing staff of the Senate Committee on Education and the House Committee on Public Education. Where appropriate, the committee should request the assistance of legislative agencies as well as the Texas Education Agency, Comptroller of Public Accounts and any other executive agencies with responsibilities related to the Committee's charge.
Travel and related expenses for public members of the committee will be paid from funds appropriated to the Texas Legislative Council. Travel costs of legislative members shall be paid from the operating budgets of those members, with all other costs borne by the standing committees of the Senate and House of Representatives. If extraordinary expenses are anticipated, the co-chairs shall prepare a budget and present a request for funding to the chair and vice chair of the legislative council.
The committee should follow the provisions of HCR 192, 77th Legislature, relating to procedural matters, including the public posting of meetings.