Joint Committee on Public School Finance, Select
(authorized by HCR 280, 78th Legislature)
(a) the committee shall conduct a study of issues affecting the duty of the legislature to establish and make suitable provision for the support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools.
(b) The study shall include:
(1) a review of the state's revenue system as it relates to the legislature's ability to provide for a constitutional school finance system;
(2) an assessment of funding options that will sustain Texas schools for the long term and that will substantially increase the state's share of public school funding;
(3) a determination of appropriate funding levels to enable high academic performance;
(4) an analysis of legitimate student and school district cost differences;
(5) a review of the appropriate role of the state in the provision of school facilities;
(6) an examination of strategies and practices that contribute to high academic performance in schools; and
(7) a review of possible incentives for improved student performance and cost-effective operation.
The committee shall make recommendations to the legislature for changes to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the current system. A final report of the committee shall be submitted to the lieutenant governor and the speaker of the House of Representatives not later than March 15, 2004.
FINAL REPORT (PDF - 600kb)
To view and print PDF files, you will need Acrobat Reader, available free of charge from Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Budget and Staff
The committee shall prepare and present to the lieutenant governor and the speaker of the House of Representatives a proposal for budget and staffing. To the greatest extent possible, the committee shall use the existing staff and administrative resources of committee members, standing committees, officers of the Senate and House, and legislative service agencies. The committee may request assistance from executive branch agencies.
For more information please refer to http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/psf/.