The Texas State Senate: Senate Committee on Education
Senate Committee on Education
August 18, 2008
Interim Charge: Study the effectiveness of public school programs serving special education students, including autistic students. Specifically, consider whether special education services are adequately preparing students for post-secondary opportunities. The review should also include the availability and quality of the supports and services provided by adult services agencies for individuals with disabilities. Make recommendations for improving public school special education programs and the coordination of adult education services among state agencies.
Student and Parent Rights
- Lynette Estrada, Parent of McKay Scholarship Student, Miami Dade County, Florida
- Jeffrey S. Miller, J.D., Policy Specialist, Advocacy, Inc.
- Chris Borreca, J.D., Bracewell Giuliani, Texas Council of Administrators of Special Education
Possible Reforms and Recommendations
- Colleen Horton, HB 1230 Workgroup, Public Policy Director, Texas Center for Disability Studies, University of Texas at Austin
- Frank C. McCamant, Chair, Texas Council on Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders
- Gene Lenz, Deputy Associate Commissioner for Special Programs, Texas Education Agency
- Kathy Clayton, Director, IDEA Coordination, Texas Education Agency