Important News and Updates
December 9, 2008
Updated list of Texans fallen in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom
Secretary of State's Military and Overseas Voter Services
From the Texas Secretary of State's Website
The Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008
Factsheet - PDF Format
August 2, 2007
Veteran & Military Bills Passed - 80th Session
October 10, 2008
TEA provides support to regions expecting student enrollment surges due to base realignments - PDF Format
October 6, 2008
DoD Revises Purple Heart Eligibility Criteria to Allow Award to POWs Who Die in Captivity - From DoD
September 16, 2008
Senator Van de Putte Holds Veteran Affairs and Military Installations Committee Hearing
September 8, 2008
Veteran Affairs and Military Installations and Defense Affairs and State Federal Relations to hold interim hearing in San Antonio, Texas
September 3, 2008
State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, Chair of the Texas Senate Committee on Veteran Affairs and Military Installations, to be awarded medal by National Guard Association of the United States
August 20, 2008
Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, Chair of the Texas Senate Committee on Veteran Affairs and Military Installations, Responds to Gov. Perry's call for Higher Education Benefits for Veterans and their Families
June 25, 2008
Senator Van De Putte Applauds Efforts Of U.S. Department Of Education & U.S. Department Of Defense
April 4, 2008
Sen. Van de Putte Welcomes New Director of Veteran Affairs and Military Installations (VAMI) Committee
March 31, 2008
Wounded Warrior Day in San Antonio: Senate Committee on Veteran Affairs and Military Installations to hold hearing
|Senator Van de Putte receives the National Guard Association of the United States' Charles Dick Medal of Merit on September 3, 2008. The award was presented by the Adjutant General of Texas Lieutenant General Charles Rodriguez and the National Guard Association of Texas (NGAT) Executive Director Ray Lindner.|
(click each photo to enlarge)
Video/Audio Archives [ 79th | 78th | 77th | 76th ]
80th Session Interim
80th Regular Session
Player Download Site
The following reports are available for download:
- Examine any existing state veteran hiring and procurement preferences and procedures and make recommendations for improving and enhancing these programs to increase efficiencies and maximize funding.
- Study veteran reintegration issues, including the occurrence of post traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, substance abuse problems, and domestic violence and other family issues. Make suggestions regarding what the state could do to supplement and enhance related services for veterans and their families, focusing on state military forces veterans and reservists. Include an assessment of the implementation of SB 1058, 80th Texas Legislature, relating to reintegration counseling services.
- Study state services and benefits for injured service members and their families who are recovering from their injuries and rehabilitating in Texas. Make recommendations on how to better serve them.
- Study the relationships between military installations and the surrounding communities and make recommendations addressing encroachment and quality of life.
- Examine ways that "The Fund for Veterans Assistance" established by H.B. 3107, 80th Texas Legislature, could be maximized to the benefit of Texas veterans.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Veteran Affairs & Military Installations Committee, 80th Legislature, Regular Session, and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation. Focus on the implementation of the Texas Veterans Commission (H.B. 3426) and Texas Veterans Land Board (H.B. 3140) Sunset reviews.