The Texas State Senate: Senate Committee on Higher Education
Senate Committee on Higher Education
Video/Audio Archives [ 82nd | 81st | 80th | 79th | 78th | 76th ]
83rd Session Interim
83rd Regular Session
Hearings and Committee Handouts
- No meetings to display at this time.
The following reports are available for download:
- Review and evaluate the success of Closing the Gaps by 2015, the strategic plan for higher education adopted in 2000. Coordinate with the Higher Education Coordinating Board on the next set of long term goals for higher education and monitor their progress.
- Study and make recommendations regarding the impact of technology on higher education instruction, including online courses and massive open online courses (MOOCs), and their impact on higher education excellence, cost, and funding requirements.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Senate Committee on Higher Education, 83rd Legislature, Regular and Called Sessions, and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance and/or complete implementation. Specifically, monitor the following:
Examine and make recommendations regarding improvements in teacher preparation and certification programs to address any misalignment with school district shortages and problems with retaining new teachers.
- SB 414, relating to a study and report regarding authorizing certain public junior colleges to offer baccalaureate degree programs to address regional workforce needs;
- SB 62, relating to the vaccination against bacterial meningitis of entering students at public and private or independent institutions of higher education;
- SB 28 (2011), relating to eligibility for a TEXAS grant and to administration of the TEXAS grant program; and
- HB 1244 (2011), relating to developmental education and the assessment of student readiness under the Texas Success Initiative and to students enrolled in developmental education at public institutions of higher education.
Review and make recommendations regarding the use of dual credit coursework and other secondary school programs for college credit, including the academic rigor of such programs and predictive value for college success.
Examine and make recommendations regarding alignment between high school coursework and expectations in freshman level college coursework. Study the impact of particular coursework, specifically mathematics (including Algebra II) and science courses, as predictors of college readiness and success.
Committee Archives and Links
82nd Legislature's Senate Committee on Higher Education
81st Legislature's Senate Committee on Higher Education
80th Legislature's Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education
80th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
79th Legislature's Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education
79th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
78th Legislature's Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education
78th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
77th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
76th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
76th Legislature's Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education