The Texas State Senate: Senate Committee on Education
Senate Committee on Education
Video/Audio Archives [ 82nd | 81st | 80th | 79th | 78th | 77th | 76th ]
83rd Session Interim
83rd Regular Session
Hearings and Committee Handouts
The following reports are available for download:
- Examine STAAR writing scores for elementary, middle and high school students. For grade levels tested in writing, review the types of writing required. Explore the need for targeted professional development in writing. Review the redesign of high school English EOC exams. For the entire STAAR assessment program, review accommodations available to eligible students as a result of the elimination of the STAAR Modified exam pursuant to changes in federal accountability regulations. Additionally, review the redesign of the STAAR Alternate assessment.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Senate Committee on Education, 83rd Legislature, Regular and Called Sessions, and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance and/or complete implementation. Specifically, monitor the following:
Conduct a comprehensive review of school choice programs in other states. Examine the impact of education tax credits and taxpayer savings grants on the state budget. Review the state's parent trigger and Public Education Grant program statutes and identify any potential improvements.
- HB 5, relating to public school accountability, including assessment, and curriculum requirements; providing a criminal penalty;
- HB 1926, relating to the operation of the state virtual school network and courses provided through other distance learning arrangements;
- SB 376, relating to breakfast for certain public school students; and
- HB 617, relating to transition and employment services for public school students enrolled in special education programs.
Monitor the implementation of SB 2, relating to certain charter schools.
Monitor the implementation of HB 462, related to the prohibition on developing or adopting common core standards.
Review Chapter 26, Education Code (Parental Rights and Responsibilities) and determine if any statutory changes are necessary to strengthen the rights of parents. Consider measures adopted in other states.
Review Chapter 8, Education Code (Regional Education Service Centers), specifically the purpose and the performance standards and indicators developed by the Commissioner. Analyze all funding streams available to Education Service Centers.
82nd Legislature's Senate Education Committee
81st Legislature's Senate Education Committee
80th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
80th Legislature's Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education
79th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
79th Legislature's Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education
78th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
78th Legislature's Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education
77th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
76th Legislature's Senate Education Committee
76th Legislature's Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education