The Texas State Senate: Senate Committee on Economic Development
Senate Committee on Economic Development
Video/Audio Archives [ 82nd | 81st ]
83rd Regular Session
The following reports are available for download:
* NOTICE: On page 19 of this report, under the Committee Charge #4 "Executive Summary", the bullet point references "House Committee on Economic and Small Business Development Interim Report". This should instead read "House State Affairs Committee Interim Report to the 83rd Texas Legislature".
- Study current legislative and regulatory barriers that could impede capital investment, growth, and expansion of Texas businesses. Make recommendations for reducing barriers to entry for professions regulated by Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, including deregulation, additional reciprocity, and credit for military service.
- Project and examine the costs and economic impact to Texas businesses in complying with the federal health care law. Make recommendations on options for state government intervention to reduce the negative impact of the federal health care law on Texas businesses.
- Study and make recommendations to develop a biennial state review process for economic development programs to determine their effectiveness in keeping Texas economically competitive while ensuring taxpayer dollars are used wisely. As a part of this study, the committee should review processes used in other states related to the analysis and reporting requirements for economic development programs.
- Monitor implementation of SB 21 (83-R), which requires drug testing for unemployment insurance claimants. Investigate options to begin implementation of the rule without relying on U.S. Department of Labor regulations. Make recommendations to ensure that unemployment insurance claimants are actively seeking work and not using illegal drugs.